If you have straight hair like me, you likely get giddy at the thought of spending time in a humid place – a rare opportunity for any kind of volume, body and movement. And after escaping for a few days on the island of Kauai, the constant humidity was such a welcome change – my skin was soft and dewy and my hair, blissfully beachy!
After returning to LA, I did a little research on how to possibly recreate the effect in a quick and easy way at home. This simple recipe uses sea salt for shape and volume, coconut oil for taming the frizz (and not to mention, that delicious smell), and hair gel to make it all stick. Who says beachy waves only belong in the summer!?
– 1 small spray bottle
– 1 cup hot water
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (do not use table salt!)
– 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil or moroccan oil
– 1/2 teaspoon hair gel
– Pour hot (but not boiling) water into your spray bottle
– Add salt, oil and hair gel and shake the mixture around until everything looks dissolved
– Spray generously on damp hair from root to tip (you may want to do this over the bathtub)
– With a small towel in your hand, scrunch hair repeatedly until air dry
– There you go – you’ve got those surfer girl waves in the thick of fall!